The first ten superheroes that come to
mind are Captain America, Iron Man, Star Fire, Electra, Robin, Superman, Aqua
Man, Wonder Woman, Artemis, The Flash.
Captain America was the willing
subject of an experiment to create the perfect solider. As a result, he was
given above average strength, flexibility, endurance and speed. Iron Man is the
technology genius of his generation and created a suit that allows him to do a
variety of things. Starfire was an alien princess that fled to Earth after her
older sister, Blackfire, tried to have her executed. She possesses the ability
to fly, super strength and can shoot energy blasts from her hands. Electra is
skilled in martial arts and the kunoichi blades. Robin is the side kick of
Batman and later becomes Nightwing. He has no super powers however he is very
strong, a master acrobat, detective and martial artist.
Superman needs no introduction. He is
a kryptonian who gains superhuman strength and flight from the Sun. Aquaman has
the power to telepathically communicate with aquatic creatures, live in the
deepest areas of the ocean, and breathe under water. He is unnaturally strong
due to his ability to withstand the water pressures of the ocean. And as a
result of his hand being cut off and replaced by a magical one; he has healing
powers and can shoot hot or cold water out of his hand. Wonder Woman is an
Amazonian princess and possesses super human strength and the ability to fly.
Artemis is the daughter of two villains but due to the abuse she was given by
her father she chose the hero’s path and became the protégée archer of Green
Arrow. The Flash can run at incredible speeds and can also heal at a rapid
pace. These superheroes are in my opinion some of the best ones. And while I
don’t necessarily know their original versions, I know of them and the
characters I have gotten to know have won my admiration.
If I could have one super power for
the rest of my life and I had to choose between the ability to turn invisible
or fly I would choose flight without a single thought. Flying has always been
something I dreamed of being able to do. After hearing the podcast over this
debate, I was in a word, disgusted at the perverted and tainted light they
viewed these powers in. I first of all have to say that I have nothing against
the ability to turn invisible. It is a really cool power however no matter how
many times I might have done something embarrassing and wanted to be invisible,
I don’t think I would actually want to given the chance. My problem was that I
felt invisible for a majority of my childhood and wanted to be seen and liked
by others.
Flying to me is something I would
think of as liberating. The notion of having nothing but clear skies ahead of
me and not being held down to the ground is something of a fantasy for me. It
means not being restrained and having the choice to go wherever I wanted.
Metaphorically, you could take it as a teenager getting a car. But cooler.
I don’t know why the idea of escape
entices me so much but “flight” has a sort of otherworldly and divine feeling
for me. I think of angels and wings and it promises the idea of being closer to
God. Not having to feel shame but just being elemental. You could also say that
because I have a fear of falling, whether that be in a literal or biblical
sense, the ability of flight would save me from both. I don’t know if I am
making sense but I really can’t see a negative for flying. Sorry!
No comments:
Post a Comment