I arrived
in what I hoped was a grand entrance but failed to only catch the glances of a
few bored faces waiting for friends walk in. My eyes scanned the room and
despite the low budget Jamie had claimed to be on, the place looked amazing.
The theme wasn’t quite so apparent except for the one wall draped with
construction paper and company logos plastered on with Elmer’s Glue. Yet the
snack table drew the eyes away from the hastily put together paparazzi stage
and towards the colorful and fantastically decorated pastries. Lights danced
around the room like multicolored fireflies and thanks to the hotel, we had
access to the Greek themed garden. The same garden, which I now noticed, had a
photo booth station set up by the doors.
My name
rang out and I turned my attention to a section close to the snack bar where
two tables had been pushed together to hold all of my friends. I walked over
and the next thing I knew we were all running outside to take pictures under
the pillared dome. As we reached the first steps I realized we weren’t the only
ones with this idea. Brian had thought of it too and whom else would he have
brought to prom but Jessica. My heart gave a tight squeeze but maintained a
neutral expression. I did; however, relish the fact that his eyes trailing over
the satin purple number I was modeling.
I had gone through all the stops. Curling my hair, painting my nails; I
had even pulled out the silver crystal necklace and studded silver heals of my
quincenera.
Yet I knew
all I would get from him was a meager “Hey” and a “you look nice”. Jessica eyed
me and despite my hopes that her fashion sense would be misdirected, she looked
stunning. After what seemed like forever taking group photos. We went inside.
Time passed and though Brian left to sit with Jessica and her friends, I was
beginning to enjoy the company of my own friends. The music turned up and
everyone rushed to the dance floor. One after the other, the songs came and
went. Partners came and went, one dance after another. My gaze kept trailing
them. And while I made several attempts to steal one dance, he was either found
dancing with a friend or in the arms of Jessica. “Just one dance,” I thought.
One is all I need to be content. Yet the night was coming to a close and the
last few songs were pulling out.
I looked up in time to catch his glance and as he made
his way across the dance floor, she was suddenly there. You have to give her
props for holding on to her man so tightly. But there it was. My last chance at
a perfect night swept away as if it was never really there. A light tap on my
shoulder. Luis. My dear friend who had professed his love for me but whom I
could not accept for the simple fact that I was in love with someone else. “Do
you want to dance?” he asked. I quickly realized that I had been standing there
alone and quite pathetically. Luis was there to rescue me. And I took his
outstretched hand. “I’d love to” I said. I guess the night wasn’t a total loss…




No comments:
Post a Comment